Children are our future. The Nevada Statewide Maternal and Child Health (MCH) Coalition believes that every child deserves a healthy start – it’s the best gift a community can give to its children. The Nevada Statewide Maternal and Child Health Coalition works with community partners to advocate for preconception health, developmental screening, breastfeeding, physical activity, and more for mothers and children.
To better serve the entire state of Nevada, the MCH Coalition offers membership, resources and support in Northern and Southern Nevada. Together, the Northern and Southern Nevada Coalitions serves to nurture and enhance the knowledge and capacity of the healthcare community to better serve the needs of families.
The NV Statewide MCH Coalition subgrant is supported by the Nevada State Division of Public and Behavioral Health (DPBH) through Grant Number B04MC29352 and BO4MC30626 from the United States Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) and the State of Nevada General Fund.
- Promote and facilitate access to preventative, rehabilitative and child health care services.
- Advocate for the timely identification of children and adolescents with special health care needs and promote appropriate intervention.
- Create awareness regarding the importance of routine mental health screening and identification and referral to appropriate resources for care and follow-up.
- Promote access to comprehensive pre-conception, prenatal and postnatal care to women, especially low-income and at-risk pregnant women.
- Reduce risk factors which contribute to unhealthy outcomes among Nevada’s maternal and child health population through the use of evidence-based practice and research.
- Raise awareness about available resources and services that promote and ensure the well-being of Nevada’s maternal, child and adolescent health populations.
Margarita L. DeSantos, RN BSN
Performance Measures provides a focal point and describes a specific maternal and child health need that, when successfully addressed, can lead to a better health outcome within a specific time frame.